Well … that month flew by! And I say that practically every month, but this time it was true because there are only twenty-eight days in February (takes me by surprise every time) so the month did fly by.
Literally. It was flying past my window the other night, and I was like, “Feb … where ya goin’, man?” And Feb said, “I’m leaving this place! I’m sick of the in-between-ish weather and the corny Valentine’s lines.” #TrueStory
February was actually a fairly productive month for me … but you might not know it by looking at my dares since there’s a lot of red. (But hey, Valentine’s = red so I had to stick with the theme.) Hopefully March will be just as productive – and a bit more organized. 😉
February 2018 Dares
- Finish five review copies. Failed.
- Don’t request any more review copies. Check!
- YAY! I DID IT!
- (and this is after I said I was likely gonna fail, so I’m so proud of myself!)
- Actually read in the evenings. Check!
- At least … I think so?
- I remember reading in the evenings …
- So it must have been enough to count it as “check.” 😉
Reading Stats for February
Read: 14 books
Classics: 4 (What Katy Did, Emily of Deep Valley (reread), The Jungle, and All Quiet on the Western Front)
Historical Fiction: 6 (Heiress, Baroness, The Sea Before Us, A Passionate Hope, The Fragrance of Geraniums, and All Our Empty Places)
Fantasy-ish: 1 (White Wolf and the Ash Princess)
Nonfiction: 2 (Come to Our Salmon Feast and Linda’s Indian Home)
Favorite Book of the Month: The Sea Before Us by Sarah Sundin! Such a sweet, heartbreaking, amazing book!
Least Favorite Book of the Month: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. *dies because it was so annoying* (Note: it’s 1.5 stars not 2 stars like I said on the graphic before.)
Most Anticipated: The Sea Before Us
Least Anticipated: All Quiet on the Western Front (and I ended up enjoying it!)
- Finish Draft 3 of At Her Fingertips. Check!
- Also, my beta-readers are so lovely. ❤
- I just can’t express how much help they’ve been, especially in the mad rush of the last couple days.
- Figure out a solid plot for Water on the Rocks. Failed.
- I … actually didn’t work on this at all???
- But I’m going to! This next month!
- Write 5K more of Alice Unanswered. Check!
- Right now, I have just short of 26K, so yes, I did get 5K!
- Though just barely.
- (BUT THIS SHALL CHANGE NEXT MONTH.)
- Go through Beyond Her Calling and mark needed changes. Kinda.
- Uh …?
- It was a short and busy month, mmkay?
Here’s what I did in February, writing-wise:
At Her Fingertips
I completed the entire third draft! It ended up being harder than I thought, but with my amazing beta-readers (whom I cannot thank or praise enough), it was a lot easier. I have now sent an email off to my editor and am ready to move on to the next step!
Beyond Her Calling
Basically nothing. I read a few bits and thought about what I wanted to do, but didn’t put any solid work into it.
Water on the Rocks
Mostly research? I started an outline but never finished it. I’ve read quite a bit about American Indians now, specifically the Wyam people. I need to start doing some serious research on WW2 and the ’40s, though.
(p.s. if you have any recommendations for WW2 nonfiction/fiction – but mostly nonfiction, because I really need to crack down – set in the Pacific during WW2 … or basically just anything about WW2/the ’40s. I’ll take it all in!)
Like I said, about 5K. Not a lot of progress.
This is a short story prequel to The Lady of the Vineyard. In February, I finished writing it and did the first round of edits. Considering that it’s only about 5,000 words, that’s not a big deal, but it was still a nice accomplishment.
- Schedule. Schedule. Schedule. Kinda.
- I left the schedule behind multiple times throughout the month.
- But at least I haven’t quit yet?
- Get 560 followers. Failed.
- 551 so far.
- But hey, that’s still an improvement!
- Do a January wrap-up post on Reveries Reviews. Failed.
- Eh …
- I kinda dropped RR a lot throughout the month?
- I posted all of five times. *dies*
My Personal Favorite: Alice Unanswered? What’s that all about?
Post Count: 6
The stats are down this month, but that’s because I only posted six times and somewhat irregularly. I suppose you could say that Feb was somewhat of a blogging failure, but I won’t say that.
(Except I just did.) I’ll say … there is room for improvement. 😛
Guess what? I figured out how to do some fun HTML on my website! Towards the bottom of the main page, there should be a widget that reads “Rave Reviews” followed by little dropdown buttons for each of my published novels! #SoProud
- Don’t get any more injuries. Check!
- I mean, I ran into lots of things.
- I always do.
- But I was never badly injured. So yeah.
- Stop being so fatalistic. Check?
- I am not 100% sure how I expected to accomplish this, but uh?
- At least I haven’t had any big panic attacks or anything???
- I don’t know.
- Read the Bible! Failed.
- Reading the Bible is hard.
- It requires opening the book.
- And reading.
- (Something I do every day, but with books that aren’t actually the Most Important Book Ever.)
Well, throughout February, I felt pretty useless. But that’s understandable considering the fact that FEBRUARY SUCKS.
Okay, so, I really want to give February the benefit of the doubt. I love February! It’s so sweet and cute and its theme color is red with a dash of pink which are my favorites.
Honestly, February is just a month I really admire. But beauty is only skin deep. And Feb’s beauty doesn’t extend beyond it’s cool exterior.
February is boring. It is always boring. I don’t know why, but it is. And somehow every other month is slightly more exciting than February.
I can’t explain it, but it’s true.
(Hoorah for March, though!)
March 2018 Dares
- Read five review copies.
- I know, this is the same goal as last month, but …
- This is something I need to do. Like, majorly.
- I think I have like twenty. Or fourteen. Either way.
- Read two nonfiction books on WW2.
- I almost wrote “nonfiction stories.”
- Because I expect everything to have a story.
- WHY AM I SO USELESSLY BAD AT RESEARCHING WHEN I WRITE A GENRE THAT REQUIRES TONS OF RESEARCH??? *dies*
- Finish your book research on the Wyam.
- Book research meaning everything I can read.
- I’m gonna talk to some local folks and such, too. And probably my grandma. She knows things.
- (Also, I am so glad I worked a museum over last summer. Now I won’t feel so bad about storming them with questions!)
- Write a little of Alice Unanswered every day.
- My idea is this: quantity is not important. But neither is quality.
- What is important is consistency. At least, that’s what is important at this point in my writing career.
- So … I set up a chart, and I’m trying to write at least a few words every day all month.
- Outline Water on the Rocks.
- By the way, I am seriously considering an alternate title?
- Like, three alternate titles.
- But I’ll talk about that later.
- Rewrite the ending of Beyond Her Calling.
- SERIOUSLY GIRL. TWO SCENES.
- DO IT.
- Blog regularly and with at least some quality.
- Can’t expect too much quality. 😉
- (Seriously, though, I’m gonna try to be an amazing blogger!)
- Look into switching to WordPress.org.
- That’s right! I’m consider self-hosting!
- I mean, I’m willing to make a financial investment into blogging now, and this seems like a good time?
- Also, I have money burning a hole in my pocket and nothing outrageous to spend it on.
- Figure out a theme that you can keep all year round.
- This switching up is exhausting.
- It just can’t continue, y’know?
- READ. THE. BIBLE.
- This time I’m actually gonna do it.
- (Even though, for some reason, I just haven’t been enjoying it recently?)
- (It’s the weirdest thing ever!)
- (I blame my parents.)
- Spend time with some friends.
- I have not being done this recently.
And, honestly, I would rather be writing.
- But I like my friends, sooo???
- I need to make myself do things I know I’ll enjoy sometimes.
- Go to sleep at night sometime.
- I might even end up liking it. 😛
Stuff That’s Happening in March
- We’re going to California to see my sister.
- And my sisters’ cat. Because, to be honest, I will spend more time with him than with my sister.
- (If he allows me. He is a king-of-the-world type.)
My little brother’s birthday.
- HE IS TURNING FREAKIN’ FOURTEEN.
- I’M GONNA DIE.
- HELLLLP HE IS WAY TALLER THAN ME NOW.
Cover Reveal for At Her Fingertips!
- Officially, it’s March 10th, but …
- If you want to see it on March 9th, join my Facebook launch party!
- (It’s gonna be tons of fun! Q&A, sneak peaks, the ability to get me to ramble to the point of spoilers or almost-spoilers – because I know I will – probably some giveaway-ish stuff if I can put that together)
I can’t think of anything else.
- But I’m sure there’s something.
- Besides, y’know, school and work and school and work.
- I wish one of my sisters would have another baby. Or maybe I could have a new sister who wanted lots and lots of babies. Then something would be happening. *nods*
- Or maybe a friend could own a horse. Either way.
Well, those are my dares for March 2018! Since it is almost midnight on Friday night, I think I’m going to get this post scheduled and go to bed. Au revoir!
An Update: I scheduled this post for 4 PM instead of AM, so yep. That’s why it’s so late … At least it’s not 4 PM. Caught it at 2:45. 😉
What did you do in February? Did you accomplish your goals? What blog posts did you post – and what was your favorite? Did you favorite post coincide with what was most popular (mine was #3)? What are your goals/plans for March?
Basically … how’s life?